This was a keynote paper for the 2009 Fennoscandian Exploration and Mining Conference in Finland.
It summarises, the Centre of Exploration Targeting (CET)’s strategic thinking on how to do exploration.
Key observations are:
- The Mineral industry will be forced to undergo a paradigm shift over the next ten years to a focus on seeking quality greenfields discoveries
- More dependence on accurate conceptual targeting
- Exploration systems that closely estimate probability of success and monitor performance
- Development of exploration technologies that will allow industry to explore new search spaces cost effectively
- The petroleum industry was forced to commence this shift over 30 years ago. The mineral industry is behind the times.